Macedonia is one of the oldest and most historic towns in Southwest Iowa. First founded on the east side of the Nishnabotna River in 1846, in 1880 it was moved to its present location due to frequent river flooding and the arrival of the CB&Q Railroad. The Mormon trail winds through the town and nearby countryside. The town has a covered grandstand that is one of two remaining in Iowa, a beautifully shaded park with playground equipment, picnic tables and an Eagle of Honor Veterans Monument. A half mile from town is the descent to the Nishnabotna River at Olde Town Park where Mormons crossed the river on limestone rock ledge. Macedonia has a historic past and looking towards a progressive future.