An Introduction to Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa communities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. Communities have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and are able to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Home Base Iowa (HBI) communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
In Lenox, incentives include:
- The Chamber of Commerce Secretary will arrange for a community tour and facilitate arranging meetings with various service providers in the City of Lenox.
- Each veteran that visits the Lenox Chamber of Commerce will receive a welcome basket.
- Lenox Municipal Utilities will offer free installation for any residential service to any veteran relocation in the City of Lenox.
- Tax abatement for new construction.
Home Base Iowa Community Established: October 2016
Iowa National Guard Family Services
The Warrior & Family Services Branch is a Joint Force initiative that provides assistance to all military families, regardless of branch or component, who find themselves beyond the support capability of active duty military facilities or their home units. The Warrior & Family Services Branch acts as a network that allows families to mutually support one another. By providing families with information, resources and support, the program strengthens both the unit and service members. To learn more about these services, visit Warrior & Family Services.
Non-Profit Veteran Support Organizations
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, war-time veteran organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is a community-service organization which has reached nearly three million members, men and women at almost 15,000 American Legion posts worldwide. These posts are organized into 55 departments -- one for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and the Philippines. The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, with additional offices in Washington, D.C. The American Legion Department of Iowa is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. The Department Service Office is located in the Federal Building in Des Moines, with an additional office located in the VA Medical Center in Iowa City. Visit the Iowa Legion or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
County Veteran Director
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
There are currently no CHAMPs partners located in this county. Please check surrounding communities for CHAMPs offering online programs.
- Adams County: 1-year free property taxes on purchase of a house
- Adams County Free Press: 1-year subscription plus up to $50 of advertising
- Bella Vita Salon: haircut, shampoo, & style for 2 family members
- CHI Wellness Center: 1-year individual membership or 6-month family membership
- Corning American Theatre: $25 gift certificate
- Corning Center for the Fine Arts: $10 gift certificate
- Corning Family Dentistry: 1 free exam
- C??????rop Production Services: matching funds required for SICOG HTF Military Home Assistance Program
- Echco Concrete: 2 yards of concrete
- Grundman Insurance Agency: $25 gift certificate to Akin Design Center
- Lone Arranger: 1 single stem rose
- Petersen Tire: 1 year of free vehicle service
- R & S Auto: 10% off vehicle purchase
- Randomness: $20 gift certificate
- Rich’s Automotive Service: diagnostic scan for codes n a light truck or car
- Rick’s Auto & Ag Supply: 10% off any purchase
- State Bank of Brooks: free safe deposit box rent and waiver of DDA Service for 1 year
- Studio 406: 2 free haircuts
- Sweet Desires: $10 gift certificate
Statewide Veteran Incentives and Resources
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- Up to $7,500 toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Search/view communities that offer local veteran incentives
Statewide Veteran Resources
Learn more about veteran-specific resources and services available throughout the state. Below are links to highlighted resources: