About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
Home Base Iowa (HBI) communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
In Lenox, incentives include:
- The Chamber of Commerce Secretary will arrange for a community tour and facilitate arranging meetings with various service providers in the City of Lenox.
- Each veteran that visits the Lenox Chamber of Commerce will receive a welcome basket.
- Lenox Municipal Utilities will offer free installation for any residential service to any veteran relocation in the City of Lenox.
- Tax abatement for new construction.
Home Base Iowa Community Established: October 2016
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Adams County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Adams County: 1-year free property taxes on purchase of a house
- Adams County Free Press: 1-year subscription plus up to $50 of advertising
- Bella Vita Salon: haircut, shampoo, & style for 2 family members
- CHI Wellness Center: 1-year individual membership or 6-month family membership
- Corning American Theatre: $25 gift certificate
- Corning Center for the Fine Arts: $10 gift certificate
- Corning Family Dentistry: 1 free exam
- C??????rop Production Services: matching funds required for SICOG HTF Military Home Assistance Program
- Echco Concrete: 2 yards of concrete
- Grundman Insurance Agency: $25 gift certificate to Akin Design Center
- Lone Arranger: 1 single stem rose
- Petersen Tire: 1 year of free vehicle service
- R & S Auto: 10% off vehicle purchase
- Randomness: $20 gift certificate
- Rich’s Automotive Service: diagnostic scan for codes n a light truck or car
- Rick’s Auto & Ag Supply: 10% off any purchase
- State Bank of Brooks: free safe deposit box rent and waiver of DDA Service for 1 year
- Studio 406: 2 free haircuts
- Sweet Desires: $10 gift certificate
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax