Iowa National Guard Family Services
The Warrior & Family Services Branch is a Joint Force initiative that provides assistance to all military families, regardless of branch or component, who find themselves beyond the support capability of active duty military facilities or their home units. The Warrior & Family Services Branch acts as a network that allows families to mutually support one another. By providing families with information, resources and support, the program strengthens both the unit and service members. To learn more about these services, visit Warrior & Family Services.
Non-Profit Veteran Support Organizations
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, war-time veteran organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is a community-service organization which has reached nearly three million members, men and women at almost 15,000 American Legion posts worldwide. These posts are organized into 55 departments -- one for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and the Philippines. The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, with additional offices in Washington, D.C. The American Legion Department of Iowa is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. The Department Service Office is located in the Federal Building in Des Moines, with an additional office located in the VA Medical Center in Iowa City. Visit the Iowa Legion or email: email@example.com.
County Veteran Director
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Indian Hills Community College
Indian Hills Community College, located in Ottumwa and Centerville, was founded in 1966 and its district spans 10 counties in southeast Iowa. Indian Hills seeks to change lives by inspiring learning, diversity, social enrichment and regional economic advancement. Students may choose from a wide variety of options including arts and sciences, advanced technology, health sciences or customized learning options.
- Welcome package from Welcome and Connect Service
- Community tour offered by Welcome and Connect Service
- Elliott Oil will donate $25 gas gift cards
- Ottumwa Area Chamber of Commerce will donate $50 in Chamber Bucks and one year free associate membership
- Ottumwa Transit and 10/15 Transit will offer free transportation to veterans and families
- Bailey Office Outfitters will offer discounts
- Market on Main will offer a $25 gift card
- Indian Hills Foundation will offer Veterans General Assistance Funds
- YMCA special membership services for deployed and veterans moving to the community
- South Ottumwa Savings Bank offers $500 reduction on closing costs for primary residence owner/occupied subject to credit/underwriting approval. Also, free box of checks with new checking account & free safety deposit box with qualified home loan.
- Isaac Campbell Digital Media Specialist offers reduced rates for photography, video and web development
- Hy-Vee North (Director Amy Kramer) $5000 signing bonus with a two year commitment. Transportation of household goods within the continental United States. $500. Allowance on closing costs of a home purchase through Midwest Heritage Bank.
- Hindman/Person Heating and Air Conditioning- free tickets to Indian Hills Community College Basketball games
Statewide Veteran Incentives and Resources
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- Up to $7,500 toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Search/view communities that offer local veteran incentives
Statewide Veteran Resources
Learn more about veteran-specific resources and services available throughout the state. Below are links to highlighted resources: