About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
Indian Hills Community College
Indian Hills Community College, located in Ottumwa and Centerville, was founded in 1966 and its district spans 10 counties in southeast Iowa. Indian Hills seeks to change lives by inspiring learning, diversity, social enrichment and regional economic advancement. Students may choose from a wide variety of options including arts and sciences, advanced technology, health sciences or customized learning options.
- For more information:
- HBI CHAMPS Contact: Melissa Schlesselman / 800.726.2585, ext.5328 / firstname.lastname@example.org
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Wapello County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Welcome package from Welcome and Connect Service
- Community tour offered by Welcome and Connect Service
- Elliott Oil will donate $25 gas gift cards
- Ottumwa Area Chamber of Commerce will donate $50 in Chamber Bucks and one year free associate membership
- Ottumwa Transit and 10/15 Transit will offer free transportation to veterans and families
- Bailey Office Outfitters will offer discounts
- Market on Main will offer a $25 gift card
- Indian Hills Foundation will offer Veterans General Assistance Funds
- YMCA special membership services for deployed and veterans moving to the community
- South Ottumwa Savings Bank offers $500 reduction on closing costs for primary residence owner/occupied subject to credit/underwriting approval. Also, free box of checks with new checking account & free safety deposit box with qualified home loan.
- Isaac Campbell Digital Media Specialist offers reduced rates for photography, video and web development
- Hy-Vee North (Director Amy Kramer) $5000 signing bonus with a two year commitment. Transportation of household goods within the continental United States. $500. Allowance on closing costs of a home purchase through Midwest Heritage Bank.
- Hindman/Person Heating and Air Conditioning- free tickets to Indian Hills Community College Basketball games
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax