Buena Vista County
About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
Iowa Central Community College
Located in Fort Dodge, Iowa with satellite campuses in Webster City and Storm Lake, Iowa Central Community College is a two year institution and is home to a little over 6,000 enrolled students. Iowa Central Community College provides quality educational opportunities in the classroom and outside of the classroom. For all they serve, Iowa Central Community College strives to be the premier learning community, and college of choice, preparing the best citizens and workers for our region and beyond.
- For more information:
- Contact: 800.362.2793 / email@example.com
- Website: Iowa Central Community College Veterans Page
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Buena Vista County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Purchasing a home:
- Central Bank: $500 off the purchase of a home in Buena Vista County
- Citizens 1st National Bank: 1% credit on any residential mortgage or consumer loan. Also, a one-year membership to the National Rifle Association (NRA)
- Community State Bank: $1,000 reduction for closing cost for purchase of home
- Meta Bank: No application fee on a home loan for a qualifying veteran who relocated into Buena Vista County
- Northwest Bank: $500 reduction on the purchase of home o Security Trust and Savings Bank: No application fee on a home loan for a qualifying veteran who relocates into Buena Vista County
- City of Storm Lake: Utility incentive for qualifying veterans relocating to Buena Vista County
- King’s Pointe Resort: Special lodging room rate and Regatta Grille breakfast coupon
- Hy-Vee: Gift cards available
- Zone Home Entertainment: 10% off sound system with military I.D.
- Pizza Ranch: 10% discount with military I.D.
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax