About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
Western Iowa Tech Community College
Western Iowa Tech Community College has five campuses located in Mapleton, LeMars, Denison and Cherokee. The main campus is in Sioux City, Iowa. As a comprehensive community college, their mission is to provide quality education and to economically enhance the communities they serve.
- For more information:
- Contact: 800.352.4649 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: WITCC Veterans Page
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Cherokee County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Welcome Basket: Each veteran who visits and moves to Cherokee County will receive a welcome basket from the Cherokee Chamber of Commerce.
- Cherokee State Bank
- $500 off closing costs on a new home mortgage in Cherokee County
- Central Bank
- $500 off the origination fee on a new home mortgage in Cherokee County
- Participating Lender in IFA. IFA will match (up to $5,000) on down payments towards a new home for a veteran
- North Star Community Credit Union
- $500 (max) credit per military family/Veteran/household toward closing costs on a first-time personal residence mortgage in Cherokee County
- First Trust & Savings Bank
- Preferred rates for qualified new home loans to a veteran in Cherokee County
- State Savings Bank
- No Fee Checking and Savings Accounts for qualified veterans
- No Origination Fee on Mortgage Loans for qualified veterans in Cherokee County
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax