Iowa National Guard Family Services
The Warrior & Family Services Branch is a Joint Force initiative that provides assistance to all military families, regardless of branch or component, who find themselves beyond the support capability of active duty military facilities or their home units. The Warrior & Family Services Branch acts as a network that allows families to mutually support one another. By providing families with information, resources and support, the program strengthens both the unit and service members. To learn more about these services, visit Warrior & Family Services.
Non-Profit Veteran Support Organizations
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, war-time veteran organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is a community-service organization which has reached nearly three million members, men and women at almost 15,000 American Legion posts worldwide. These posts are organized into 55 departments -- one for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and the Philippines. The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, with additional offices in Washington, D.C. The American Legion Department of Iowa is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. The Department Service Office is located in the Federal Building in Des Moines, with an additional office located in the VA Medical Center in Iowa City. Visit the Iowa Legion or email: email@example.com.
County Veteran Director
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Western Iowa Tech Community College
Western Iowa Tech Community College has five campuses located in Sioux City, Mapleton, Le Mars, Denison and Cherokee. As a comprehensive community college, their mission is to provide quality education and to economically enhance the communities they serve.
- Welcome Basket - Each veteran that visits Crawford County will receive a welcome basket
- Community Tour - Crawford County Chamber & Development Council will arrange for a community tour and facilitate arranging meetings with various service providers in their community
- Hotel Incentive - Boulders Inn & Suites – Denison - $65.00/night plus tax
- Housing Incentive – City of Denison is offering down payment assistance to qualify home buyers; loan/grant programs are available for home repairs and 3-year 100% tax abatement for the first $75,000 on a new home or improvements. Denison Municipal Utilities offers an Economic Development Agreement of up to $100 off monthly utility bills for 6 months (up to $600 total). City of Manilla Sunrise Addition offers a large lot at no cost to any veteran that would want to build a new home in Manilla. The lots are valued at $15,000 giving the homeowner that much equity immediately. The homeowner will receive a 5 year tax abatement along with free water, sewer and electrical hook ups. Some restrictions apply to the type of house you build, but nothing major
- Rec Center – City of Denison offers qualify Veterans or Service Members a 10% discount on memberships. City of Manilla Fitness Center will offer a veteran 1 free year membership, value $100.00
- Golf – Majestic Hills Golf Course in Denison offers a 1-year membership
- Shooting Sports – Crawford County Shooting Sports offers a 1-year family membership
Statewide Veteran Incentives and Resources
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- Up to $7,500 toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Search/view communities that offer local veteran incentives
Statewide Veteran Resources
Learn more about veteran-specific resources and services available throughout the state. Below are links to highlighted resources: