About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
Western Iowa Tech Community College
Western Iowa Tech Community College has five campuses located in Mapleton, LeMars, Denison and Cherokee. The main campus is in Sioux City, Iowa. As a comprehensive community college, their mission is to provide quality education and to economically enhance the communities they serve.
- For more information:
- Contact: 800.352.4649 / email@example.com
- Website: WITCC Veterans Page
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Crawford County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Welcome Basket - Each veteran that visits Crawford County will receive a welcome basket
- Community Tour - Crawford County Chamber & Development Council will arrange for a community tour and facilitate arranging meetings with various service providers in their community
- Hotel Incentive - Boulders Inn & Suites – Denison - $65.00/night plus tax
- Housing Incentive – City of Denison is offering down payment assistance to qualify home buyers; loan/grant programs are available for home repairs and 3-year 100% tax abatement for the first $75,000 on a new home or improvements. Denison Municipal Utilities offers an Economic Development Agreement of up to $100 off monthly utility bills for 6 months (up to $600 total). City of Manilla Sunrise Addition offers a large lot at no cost to any veteran that would want to build a new home in Manilla. The lots are valued at $15,000 giving the homeowner that much equity immediately. The homeowner will receive a 5 year tax abatement along with free water, sewer and electrical hook ups. Some restrictions apply to the type of house you build, but nothing major
- Rec Center – City of Denison offers qualify Veterans or Service Members a 10% discount on memberships. City of Manilla Fitness Center will offer a veteran 1 free year membership, value $100.00
- Golf – Majestic Hills Golf Course in Denison offers a 1-year membership
- Shooting Sports – Crawford County Shooting Sports offers a 1-year family membership
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax