Des Moines County
Iowa National Guard Family Services
The Warrior & Family Services Branch is a Joint Force initiative that provides assistance to all military families, regardless of branch or component, who find themselves beyond the support capability of active duty military facilities or their home units. The Warrior & Family Services Branch acts as a network that allows families to mutually support one another. By providing families with information, resources and support, the program strengthens both the unit and service members. To learn more about these services, visit Warrior & Family Services.
Non-Profit Veteran Support Organizations
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, war-time veteran organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is a community-service organization which has reached nearly three million members, men and women at almost 15,000 American Legion posts worldwide. These posts are organized into 55 departments -- one for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and the Philippines. The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, with additional offices in Washington, D.C. The American Legion Department of Iowa is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. The Department Service Office is located in the Federal Building in Des Moines, with an additional office located in the VA Medical Center in Iowa City. Visit the Iowa Legion or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
County Veteran Director
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Southeastern Community College
At Southeastern Community College (SCC), we're on to something. While some are beginning the journey to a four-year degree, others are learning specialized skills to enter a rewarding career. No matter what you're on to, SCC has the resources you need to set and surpass your own expectations. With an engaging campus life, unlimited amount of student resources, and supportive faculty and staff, SCC is more than a college, we're a community. Southeastern Community College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Relocation, career, and education assistance to those who qualify when relocating to Des Moines County
- Complimentary hotel rooms to help with the interview process from participating hotels in the Burlington area
- Des Moines County ambassador community tour and gift basket that includes:
- 1-day pass to a local fitness center
- 2 rounds of golf at Flint Hills Golf Course
- Various gift cards and discounts from local restaurants and retailers
- Family day passes to the city pools in Burlington and West Burlington
- In-state tuition to Southeastern Iowa Community College for all veterans and their qualifying family members
- Up to $300 off closing costs and .025% off consumer loans at an area bank
- Ten-year split scale residential tax abatement in a targeted area of seven years 100%, 75% in year 8, 50% in year 9, and 25% in year 10.
- City-wide Abatement Schedule for three years at 100%
Statewide Veteran Incentives and Resources
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- Up to $7,500 toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Search/view communities that offer local veteran incentives
Statewide Veteran Resources
Learn more about veteran-specific resources and services available throughout the state. Below are links to highlighted resources: