About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
Iowa Lakes Community College
Located in the Iowa Great Lakes Region, Iowa Lakes Community College offers courses in Algona, Emmetsburg, Estherville, Spencer and Spirit Lake. Iowa Lakes offers a variety of academic and career training programs, including customized training specifically designed for area business and industry. It also supplies renewal licensure courses, Adult Basic Education, high school completion, high school diploma credit courses, the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program and short-term vocational training.
- For more information:
- Contact: 712.362.2604 / mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: ILCC Veterans Page
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Dickinson County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Farmers Savings Bank – Milford: $500 reduction on the purchase of home in Dickinson County
- Northwest Bank – Spirit Lake, Lake Park, Milford, Arnolds Park: $500 reduction on the purchase of home
- Central Bank – Spirit Lake: $500 off the purchase of a home in Dickinson County
- The State Bank – Spirit Lake: $500 reduction on the purchase of a home in Dickinson County
- Savings Bank – Lake Park: $500 reduction for closing costs for purchase of a home in Dickinson County
- United Community Bank – Lake Park, Milford & Okoboji: Waive $500 origination fee for a residential real estate loan for a veteran. Participate in VA long term mortgage loan program.
- Bank Midwest – Spirit Lake: $500 towards the purchase of a home in Dickinson County, plus waive any internal origination fees on the home loans
- $500 housing assistance from City of Spirit Lake to use towards rental expenses, utilities and/or new home acquisition expenses.
- Dyno’s: $25 gift card to use for gasoline
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax