Iowa National Guard Family Services
The Warrior & Family Services Branch is a Joint Force initiative that provides assistance to all military families, regardless of branch or component, who find themselves beyond the support capability of active duty military facilities or their home units. The Warrior & Family Services Branch acts as a network that allows families to mutually support one another. By providing families with information, resources and support, the program strengthens both the unit and service members. To learn more about these services, visit Warrior & Family Services.
Non-Profit Veteran Support Organizations
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, war-time veteran organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is a community-service organization which has reached nearly three million members, men and women at almost 15,000 American Legion posts worldwide. These posts are organized into 55 departments -- one for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and the Philippines. The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, with additional offices in Washington, D.C. The American Legion Department of Iowa is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. The Department Service Office is located in the Federal Building in Des Moines, with an additional office located in the VA Medical Center in Iowa City. Visit the Iowa Legion or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
County Veteran Director
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Iowa Lakes Community College
Located in the Iowa Great Lakes Region, Iowa Lakes Community College offers courses in Algona, Emmetsburg, Estherville, Spencer and Spirit Lake. Iowa Lakes offers a variety of academic and career training programs, including customized training specifically designed for area business and industry. It also supplies renewal licensure courses, Adult Basic Education, high school completion, high school diploma credit courses, the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program and short-term vocational training.
- Farmers Savings Bank – Milford: $500 reduction on the purchase of home in Dickinson County
- Northwest Bank – Spirit Lake, Lake Park, Milford, Arnolds Park: $500 reduction on the purchase of home
- Central Bank – Spirit Lake: $500 off the purchase of a home in Dickinson County
- The State Bank – Spirit Lake: $500 reduction on the purchase of a home in Dickinson County
- Savings Bank – Lake Park: $500 reduction for closing costs for purchase of a home in Dickinson County
- United Community Bank – Lake Park, Milford & Okoboji: Waive $500 origination fee for a residential real estate loan for a veteran. Participate in VA long term mortgage loan program.
- Bank Midwest – Spirit Lake: $500 towards the purchase of a home in Dickinson County, plus waive any internal origination fees on the home loans
- $500 housing assistance from City of Spirit Lake to use towards rental expenses, utilities and/or new home acquisition expenses.
- Dyno’s: $25 gift card to use for gasoline
Statewide Veteran Incentives and Resources
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- Up to $7,500 toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Search/view communities that offer local veteran incentives
Statewide Veteran Resources
Learn more about veteran-specific resources and services available throughout the state. Below are links to highlighted resources: