About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Relating the rich liberal arts tradition to a changing world, Loras College strives to develop active learners, reflective thinkers, ethical decision makers and responsible contributors in their diverse professional, social, and religious roles. Housed on a safe, scenic campus nestled high atop the majestic bluffs of the Mississippi River in Dubuque, Iowa, Loras College offers a wide array of academic programs, extracurricular offerings, and opportunity for personal growth.
We would be proud to welcome you into our circle of loyal Duhawks who will forever call our Dubuque campus home. Dubuque has received many awards and has been proudly recognized locally and nationally.
- For more information:
- HBI CHAMPS Contact: Michael Friend / firstname.lastname@example.org / 563-588-7810
- Website: Loras Veterans Page
Northeast Iowa Community College
Northeast Iowa Community College, with campuses in Calmar and Peosta, is a student-driven, community-focused, higher education institution serving eight counties in northeast Iowa and surrounding areas. Offering more than 85 academic programs of study in addition to online and blended learning, customized business and industry training, short-term certification options and adult education and literacy, NICC is committed to affordable, high-quality education and training to ensure the growth and vitality of northeast Iowa.
- For more information:
- HBI CHAMPS Contact: Sheila Becker / 800.728.7367 ext. 295 / email@example.com
- Website: Northeast Iowa Community College Veterans Page
University of Dubuque
The University of Dubuque offers unparalleled support to our student veterans. Our commitment to our Nation’s service-members and veterans dates to World War II with the Navy’s V5/V12 programs, continuing to the present day with a vibrant Army ROTC Eagle Detachment, and a veteran support group for those studying on campus. In addition, for the past 15 years the University of Dubuque has purposefully encouraged Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DoDDS) graduates living overseas to join our community.
- For more information:
- HBI CHAMPS Contact: Rick Ernst / 563.589.3366 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: University of Dubuque Veterans Page
Dubuque County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Career Incentives:
- AccessDubuqueJobs.com: Whether you are searching for the most current job listings, posting your resume, or managing your online applications, this free and innovative tool will connect you to hundreds of prospective employers immediately. Search our area’s open positions now on AccessDubuqueJobs.com.
- Educational-based training programs: The Greater Dubuque area has a unique program called Opportunity Dubuque which provides short-term certificate training to upgrade individual skills in high-demand, high-wage careers within the Greater Dubuque area. Opportunity Dubuque helps eliminate barriers to obtaining education through tuition reimbursement, transportation assistance, child care provision and on-going support from education to employment. Qualified veterans willing to learn new skills will have access to this innovative program at no charge to them.
- Iowa Workforce Comprehensive One Stop Center: Our local center provides customized resources to help advance your career. Services include resume preparation, self-assessment and skill development, career counseling, and job search training. Veterans with significant barriers to employment will receive additional intensive services from a Veterans Representative.
- Education Incentives:
- Dubuque is the proud home of three Active Yellow Ribbon Program private universities and one nationally-recognized Veteran Friendly community college. Clarke University, Loras College, the University of Dubuque and Northeast Iowa Community College enroll more than 12,000 students and employ more than 1,600 area residents. These same colleges and universities are all members of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium. The impact of an educated population on future workforce may be the single most important benefit that our institutions of higher education provide.
- Relocation Incentives:
- Distinctively Dubuque: This free, interactive learning experience will help you gain valuable knowledge about the community in a fun and relaxing atmosphere. This program offers opportunities to meet new people, learn about Dubuque’s arts and culture offerings, recreation spots, things to do, and more, explore the city, participate in networking activities with community leaders and residents, and discover traditions that make Dubuque distinct. Learn more or to sign up for Distinctively Dubuque.
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax