Iowa National Guard Family Services
The Warrior & Family Services Branch is a Joint Force initiative that provides assistance to all military families, regardless of branch or component, who find themselves beyond the support capability of active duty military facilities or their home units. The Warrior & Family Services Branch acts as a network that allows families to mutually support one another. By providing families with information, resources and support, the program strengthens both the unit and service members. To learn more about these services, visit Warrior & Family Services.
Non-Profit Veteran Support Organizations
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, war-time veteran organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is a community-service organization which has reached nearly three million members, men and women at almost 15,000 American Legion posts worldwide. These posts are organized into 55 departments -- one for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and the Philippines. The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, with additional offices in Washington, D.C. The American Legion Department of Iowa is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. The Department Service Office is located in the Federal Building in Des Moines, with an additional office located in the VA Medical Center in Iowa City. Visit the Iowa Legion or email: email@example.com.
County Veteran Director
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Relating the rich liberal arts tradition to a changing world, Loras College strives to develop active learners, reflective thinkers, ethical decision makers and responsible contributors in their diverse professional, social and religious roles. Housed on a safe, scenic campus nestled high atop the majestic bluffs of the Mississippi River in Dubuque, Iowa, Loras College offers a wide array of academic programs, extracurricular offerings and opportunity for personal growth.
Northeast Iowa Community College
Northeast Iowa Community College, with campuses in Calmar and Peosta, is a student-driven, community-focused, higher education institution serving eight counties in northeast Iowa and surrounding areas. Offering more than 85 academic programs of study in addition to online and blended learning, customized business and industry training, short-term certification options and adult education and literacy, NICC is committed to affordable, high-quality education and training to ensure the growth and vitality of northeast Iowa.
University of Dubuque
The University of Dubuque offers unparalleled support to our student veterans. Our commitment to our nation’s service members and veterans dates to World War II with the Navy’s V5/V12 programs, continuing to the present day with a vibrant Army ROTC Eagle Detachment, and a veteran support group for those studying on campus. In addition, for the past 15 years the University of Dubuque has purposefully encouraged Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DoDDS) graduates living overseas to join our community.
- Career Incentives:
- AccessDubuqueJobs.com: Whether you are searching for the most current job listings, posting your resume, or managing your online applications, this free and innovative tool will connect you to hundreds of prospective employers immediately. Search our area’s open positions now on AccessDubuqueJobs.com.
- Educational-based training programs: The Greater Dubuque area has a unique program called Opportunity Dubuque which provides short-term certificate training to upgrade individual skills in high-demand, high-wage careers within the Greater Dubuque area. Opportunity Dubuque helps eliminate barriers to obtaining education through tuition reimbursement, transportation assistance, child care provision and on-going support from education to employment. Qualified veterans willing to learn new skills will have access to this innovative program at no charge to them.
- Iowa Workforce Comprehensive One Stop Center: Our local center provides customized resources to help advance your career. Services include resume preparation, self-assessment and skill development, career counseling, and job search training. Veterans with significant barriers to employment will receive additional intensive services from a Veterans Representative.
- Education Incentives:
- Dubuque is the proud home of three Active Yellow Ribbon Program private universities and one nationally-recognized Veteran Friendly community college. Clarke University, Loras College, the University of Dubuque and Northeast Iowa Community College enroll more than 12,000 students and employ more than 1,600 area residents. These same colleges and universities are all members of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium. The impact of an educated population on future workforce may be the single most important benefit that our institutions of higher education provide.
- Relocation Incentives:
- Distinctively Dubuque: This free, interactive learning experience will help you gain valuable knowledge about the community in a fun and relaxing atmosphere. This program offers opportunities to meet new people, learn about Dubuque’s arts and culture offerings, recreation spots, things to do, and more, explore the city, participate in networking activities with community leaders and residents, and discover traditions that make Dubuque distinct. Learn more or to sign up for Distinctively Dubuque.