About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
University of Iowa
The University of Iowa is a public research university located in Iowa City, Iowa. The University of Iowa is the oldest university in the state. The University of Iowa is known around the world for its balanced commitment to the arts, sciences and humanities. It's home to one of the nation's largest academic medical centers, the pioneering Iowa Writers' Workshop and hundreds of options for affordable, accessible education.
- For more information:
- HBI CHAMPS Contact: Matt Miller / 319.384.2613 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: University of Iowa Veterans Page
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax