About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
Southeastern Community College
At Southeastern Community College (SCC), we're on to something. While some are beginning the journey to a four-year degree, others are learning specialized skills to enter a rewarding career. No matter what you're on to, SCC has the resources you need to set and surpass your own expectations. With an engaging campus life, unlimited amount of student resources, and supportive faculty and staff, SCC is more than a college, we're a community. Southeastern Community College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- For more information:
- HBI CHAMPS Contact: Dennis Marino / 319.208.5022 / email@example.com
- Website: Southeastern Community College Veterans Page
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Lee County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Lee County EDG will provide 2 nights stay at a Lee County hotel for any veteran interviewing at a Lee County business.
- Keokuk YMCA - 15 percent discount off memberships for veterans and offer a free membership to active duty members
- $250 allowance if they use us in purchasing a home from participating real-estate agents
- Veteran Specific scholarships through Southeastern Community College’s Foundation
- Relocation support for Veterans hired by Hope Haven who are moving from more than 50 miles away. First month’s rent covered, ½ of second month too. Also, a $200 credit (lots of household furnishings) at the Hopefully Yours thrift store.
- For Puerto Ricans, a one-way airline ticket to SE Iowa.
- Community tour and introductions provided by local veterans from the American Legion
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax