About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
Eastern Iowa Community College
Eastern Iowa Community Colleges includes Clinton, Muscatine and Scott Community Colleges. Stretched along the banks of the Mississippi River, the district covers all of Clinton, Jackson, Muscatine and Scott Counties, as well as parts of Cedar and Louisa Counties. The mission of Eastern Iowa Community College is to deliver high-quality education and training that prepares a skilled workforce, provides affordable access to higher education and builds and strengthens our communities.
- For more information:
- Contact: email@example.com / 800-462-3255
- Website: EICC Veterans Page
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Louisa County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Purchasing a Home:
- State Bank of Wapello: Waive appraisal fees, 1% lower rate of 5 year fixed balloon mortgage.
- Washington State Bank: Waive appraisal fees.
- Community Bank & Trust: Waive appraisal fees up to $450.
- Welcome Gifts:
- City of Wapello: One year family pool pass.
- Louisa County Conservation: Two nights free camping voucher.
- Columbus CSD: One year family pool pass.
- City of Columbus Junction: Waive water hook-up fee.
- City of Columbus Junction: Waive building permit fee on new home construction.
- Columbus CSD: Waive all regular school fees (excluding lunch) for each year children are enrolled in school district, with proof of residency.
- Interviewing for a Job in Louisa County:
- Louisa Development Group will provide you with one night accommodations (pending availability) and $25 in Louisa Bucks to be used for food or gasoline.
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax