Iowa National Guard Family Services
The Warrior & Family Services Branch is a Joint Force initiative that provides assistance to all military families, regardless of branch or component, who find themselves beyond the support capability of active duty military facilities or their home units. The Warrior & Family Services Branch acts as a network that allows families to mutually support one another. By providing families with information, resources and support, the program strengthens both the unit and service members. To learn more about these services, visit Warrior & Family Services.
Non-Profit Veteran Support Organizations
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, war-time veteran organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is a community-service organization which has reached nearly three million members, men and women at almost 15,000 American Legion posts worldwide. These posts are organized into 55 departments -- one for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and the Philippines. The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, with additional offices in Washington, D.C. The American Legion Department of Iowa is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. The Department Service Office is located in the Federal Building in Des Moines, with an additional office located in the VA Medical Center in Iowa City. Visit the Iowa Legion or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
County Veteran Director
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
There are currently no CHAMPs partners located in this county. Please check surrounding communities for CHAMPs offering online programs.
Northwest Iowa Community College
Northwest Iowa Community College is a community college in Sheldon, Iowa. The college is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Northwest Iowa Community College offers both vocational technical programs and arts and sciences transfer courses - 43 programs in all.
- Welcome Basket
- Community tour arranged by the Lyon County Economic Development
- Hotel Incentives
- Closing cost incentives
- American State Bank (Alvord)- Waive $500 origination fee for a residential real estate loan for a veteran.
- Frontier Bank (Rock Rapids, George, Little Rock)- $500 off closing costs of a new home mortgage and $50 deposited into any new checking or savings account.
- Peoples Bank (Lester)- $5,000 grant available for down payment and/or closing cost assistance- Iowa Finance Authority Military Homeownership Assistance Program lender. $500 of closing costs if you do not qualify for the grant.
- Security Savings Bank- (Larchwood, Inwood, George)- $500 off closing costs of a new home mortgage.
- US Bank- For details about the products US Bank has especially for military service members
- Housing Incentives
- Other Advantages
- Recreation Areas
- Lake Pahoja Recreation Area
- Four golf courses
- Annual community celebrations
- Blood Run National Historic Landmark
- Gitchie Manitou state preserve
- Close in proximity to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, a regional entertainment, health and retail center (166,000 population)
- Three highly-ranked school systems (Central Lyon, George-Little Rock, and West Lyon community schools)
- Glynlyon offers Christian and public school home-schooling curriculum
- Northwest Iowa Community College in Sheldon
- Education assistance available
- Recreation Areas
- Entrepreneurs and business startup incentives
- Various Northwest Iowa Community College incentives