About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
Northwest Iowa Community College
Northwest Iowa Community College is a community college in Sheldon, Iowa. Northwest Iowa Community College was organized April 27, 1966. The college is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The college is located on a 269-acre campus one mile west of Sheldon. Northwest Iowa Community College offers both vocational technical programs and arts and sciences transfer courses — 43 programs in all.
- For more information:
- HBI CHAMPS Contact: Beth Sibenaller-Woodall / 800.352.4907 ext 141 / email@example.com
- Website: NWICC Veterans Page
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Lyon County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Welcome Basket
- Community tour arranged by the Lyon County Economic Development
- Hotel Incentives
- Closing cost incentives
- American State Bank (Alvord)- Waive $500 origination fee for a residential real estate loan for a veteran.
- Frontier Bank (Rock Rapids, George, Little Rock)- $500 off closing costs of a new home mortgage and $50 deposited into any new checking or savings account.
- Peoples Bank (Lester)- $5,000 grant available for down payment and/or closing cost assistance- Iowa Finance Authority Military Homeownership Assistance Program lender. $500 of closing costs if you do not qualify for the grant.
- Security Savings Bank- (Larchwood, Inwood, George)- $500 off closing costs of a new home mortgage.
- US Bank- For details about the products US Bank has especially for military service members
- Housing Incentives
- Other Advantages
- Recreation Areas
- Lake Pahoja Recreation Area
- Four golf courses
- Annual community celebrations
- Blood Run National Historic Landmark
- Gitchie Manitou state preserve
- Close in proximity to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, a regional entertainment, health and retail center (166,000 population)
- Three highly-ranked school systems (Central Lyon, George-Little Rock, and West Lyon community schools)
- Glynlyon offers Christian and public school home-schooling curriculum
- Northwest Iowa Community College in Sheldon
- Education assistance available
- Recreation Areas
- Entrepreneurs and business startup incentives
- Various Northwest Iowa Community College incentives
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax