About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Montgomery County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Welcome Packet - Each veteran that visits Montgomery County will receive a welcome basket.
- County and Community Tours – Montgomery County Development Corporation in partnership with the Red Oak Chamber and Community Betterment Committees in each of our rural towns will arrange for enjoyable and informative tours if pre-scheduled and depending on the interests
- Hotel Incentive – Stay n’ Play Discount Package at Red Coach Inn, Red Oak - $99/night plus tax. Guests enjoy a double occupancy stay in the beautiful, newly remodeled, Red Coach Inn with pass to area entertainment or a meal.
- Housing Incentive –City of Stanton has a new subdivision with multiple lots available to any veteran that would want to build a new home in Stanton. The City offers no building permit fees and waives monthly utilities to property while under construction. The lots are available for between $12,000-$18,000 per lot. Some restrictions may apply to the type of house you build.
- Fitness Centers – The Viking Center in Stanton offers qualified Veterans or Service Members a 50% off discount on memberships for one year and an on-going Veteran discount. Montgomery County YMCA in Red Oak will offer a veteran half price membership for one year, $210.00 value
- Golf – The Villisca Country Club offer discounts for Veterans.
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax
Please contact the County Veterans Office or the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs for more information.