Iowa National Guard Family Services
The Warrior & Family Services Branch is a Joint Force initiative that provides assistance to all military families, regardless of branch or component, who find themselves beyond the support capability of active duty military facilities or their home units. The Warrior & Family Services Branch acts as a network that allows families to mutually support one another. By providing families with information, resources and support, the program strengthens both the unit and service members. To learn more about these services, visit Warrior & Family Services.
Non-Profit Veteran Support Organizations
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, war-time veteran organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is a community-service organization which has reached nearly three million members, men and women at almost 15,000 American Legion posts worldwide. These posts are organized into 55 departments -- one for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and the Philippines. The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, with additional offices in Washington, D.C. The American Legion Department of Iowa is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. The Department Service Office is located in the Federal Building in Des Moines, with an additional office located in the VA Medical Center in Iowa City. Visit the Iowa Legion or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
County Veteran Director
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Northwest Iowa Community College
Northwest Iowa Community College is a community college in Sheldon, Iowa. The college is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Northwest Iowa Community College offers both vocational technical programs and arts and sciences transfer courses - 43 programs in all.
- Housing Incentives:
- $5,000 rebate on the purchase of a lot in our brand-new Sheldon Crossing Residential Development for new construction
- $1 lots available for purchase in our Sunshine Residential Development for new construction
- New Business Start-Up or Acquisition:
- Storefront Loan Program are available for up to 40% off total project costs for storefront improvements which may include awning treatments. Replacement of signage or siding, window and door upgrades, masonry repair, cornice repair and new paint. The loan is granted as a forgivable loan program and is available for new business start-up or business succession.
- Interior Renovation Loan Program available for new business start-up or for the purchase of an existing business in Sheldon. The program provides loans up to $15,000 at 0% for the renovation or creation of interior sales/retail space.
- Revolving Loan Program is available for new business start-ups or business acquisition in Sheldon. Loans are available up to $250,000 at a 4% interest rate.
- Bank Incentives:
- Citizens State Bank: $250 off closing costs of a new home mortgage loan with a FREE safe deposit box for the life of the new home mortgage loan; or 2 FREE boxes of checks with the opening of a new checking account
- Iowa State Bank: Agree to waive $500 origination fee of a new home
- Northwestern Bank: $250 reduction on the closing cost of new home mortgage
- Peoples Bank:
- Additional Incentives:
- Rent Sheldon: 1-month FREE rent with a signed 12-month lease
- Sheldon Golf and Country Club: 50% off individual golf membership
- Sanford Sheldon: FREE home first aid kit
- Just Cuts for Men: $10 haircut when you bring in your “I Love Sheldon” card
- Carl’s Footwear: 25% off any in-store purchase
- HTC: Two months of basic bundle service for free (TV, telephone, and internet), and only $39.95 for installation
- Holiday Inn Express:
- Double Queen Room: $109.99
- Standard King Room: $119.99
- Double King of Double King Suite: $129.99
- The Sheldon Post 145 American legion will pay for the first-year annual membership dues, for any member attending meetings with the Sheldon Post.
Statewide Veteran Incentives and Resources
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- Up to $7,500 toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Search/view communities that offer local veteran incentives
Statewide Veteran Resources
Learn more about veteran-specific resources and services available throughout the state. Below are links to highlighted resources: