Founded in 1871, O'Brien County was named after Irish independence leader William Smith O'Brien. The Highland Wind Farm is MidAmerican Energy's largest wind farm in the United States. Located in Hartley, Iowa is the Patch-Eeten House Museum. This is a restored 1890's house focused on WWII with pictures and memorabilia of veterans. As a Home Base Community since October 2015, O'Brien County has a strong commitment to veteran job placement, health care and education.
About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
Northwest Iowa Community College
Northwest Iowa Community College is a community college in Sheldon, Iowa. Northwest Iowa Community College was organized April 27, 1966. The college is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The college is located on a 269-acre campus one mile west of Sheldon. Northwest Iowa Community College offers both vocational technical programs and arts and sciences transfer courses — 43 programs in all.
- For more information:
- HBI CHAMPS Contact: Beth Sibenaller-Woodall / 800.352.4907 ext 141 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: NWICC Veterans Page
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
O'Brien County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Housing Incentives:
- $5,000 rebate on the purchase of a lot in our brand-new Sheldon Crossing Residential Development for new construction
- $1 lots available for purchase in our Sunshine Residential Development for new construction
- New Business Start-Up or Acquisition:
- Storefront Loan Program are available for up to 40% off total project costs for storefront improvements which may include awning treatments. Replacement of signage or siding, window and door upgrades, masonry repair, cornice repair and new paint. The loan is granted as a forgivable loan program and is available for new business start-up or business succession.
- Interior Renovation Loan Program available for new business start-up or for the purchase of an existing business in Sheldon. The program provides loans up to $15,000 at 0% for the renovation or creation of interior sales/retail space.
- Revolving Loan Program is available for new business start-ups or business acquisition in Sheldon. Loans are available up to $250,000 at a 4% interest rate.
- Bank Incentives:
- Citizens State Bank: $250 off closing costs of a new home mortgage loan with a FREE safe deposit box for the life of the new home mortgage loan; or 2 FREE boxes of checks with the opening of a new checking account
- Iowa State Bank: Agree to waive $500 origination fee of a new home
- Northwestern Bank: $250 reduction on the closing cost of new home mortgage
- Peoples Bank:
- Additional Incentives:
- Rent Sheldon: 1-month FREE rent with a signed 12-month lease
- Sheldon Golf and Country Club: 50% off individual golf membership
- Sanford Sheldon: FREE home first aid kit
- Just Cuts for Men: $10 haircut when you bring in your “I Love Sheldon” card
- Carl’s Footwear: 25% off any in-store purchase
- HTC: Two months of basic bundle service for free (TV, telephone, and internet), and only $39.95 for installation
- Holiday Inn Express:
- Double Queen Room: $109.99
- Standard King Room: $119.99
- Double King of Double King Suite: $129.99
- The Sheldon Post 145 American legion will pay for the first-year annual membership dues, for any member attending meetings with the Sheldon Post.
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax