Home Base Iowa (HBI) communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
In Clarinda, incentives include:
- Welcome Packet - Each veteran that visits the Clarinda community will receive a welcome packet.
- Community Tours - The Clarinda Economic Development Corporation in partnership with the Clarinda Chamber of Commerce will arrange pre-scheduled tours upon request.
- Housing incentives – The City of Clarinda and the Clarinda Economic Development Corporation offer a variety of housing incentives including a progressive Infill Housing program.
- Easter’s True Value offers veterans 10% off all purchases.
- Orscheln Farm & Home offers veterans 5% off all purchases on Tuesdays.
- Hometown Sears Store-Clarinda offers veteran promotional events throughout the year..
- Chat Mobility offers a 20% discount to all active military personnel.
- Parks and Recreation Department - 50% discount on programs.
The Page County Veterans Affairs office also provides the following incentives and assistance:
- Page County is home to the Shenandoah VA Medical clinic, located 18 miles west of Clarinda.
- VA Loans and housing opportunities are addressed by the Page County Veterans Affairs office.
- Free transportation five days a week is offered to veterans for Omaha medical appointments.
- Services are offered with both Angels Care Home Health and Westridge Care Center, which is accredited for VA Veteran placement.
- Close proximity to both the Omaha VA Medical Center (82 miles west of Clarinda) and Lincoln VA Medical Center - Western Iowa Health Care System (95 miles west of Clarinda).
Home Base Iowa Community Established: July 2019
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
There are currently no CHAMPs partners located in this county. Please check surrounding communities for CHAMPs offering online programs.
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax