Home Base Iowa (HBI) communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
In Sioux City, incentives include:
- Real Estate Assistance
- MyPad Down Payment Assistance – Up to $14,999 for qualified low income individuals and families for down payment of a home. Call: (712) 279-6255 or apply at: www.sioux-city.org.
- Sioux City Housing Authority (SCHA) has partnered with the Department of Veterans Affairs to offer Rental Assistance for homeless veterans. The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) Voucher Program combines HUD Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Rental Assistance Program for homeless veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Veterans Affairs (VA) office. Any interested homeless veteran may contact the VA office directly at: (712) 255-3808.
- Sioux City Transit – Veterans with a service-connected disability are eligible to ride the Sioux City Transit System's fixed route buses free.
- Several discounts to entertainment venues in Sioux City.
- Hilton Garden Inn Sioux City Riverfront – Complimentary one night hotel stay through Hilton Honors to support veterans pursuing job opportunities (interviews, skills training, housing searches). If not pursuing job opportunities veterans will receive 15% off the best available rate. (1132 Larsen Park Rd., Sioux City
- Candlewood Suites – Government rate available to veterans. (4720 Southern Hills Dr., Sioux City)
- Many retail and service discounts at Sioux City area businesses.
Home Base Iowa Community Established: April 2015
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
There are currently no CHAMPs partners located in this county. Please check surrounding communities for CHAMPs offering online programs.
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax
Please contact the County Veterans Office or the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs for more information.