An Introduction to Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa communities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. Communities have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and are able to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Iowa National Guard Family Services
The Warrior & Family Services Branch is a Joint Force initiative that provides assistance to all military families, regardless of branch or component, who find themselves beyond the support capability of active duty military facilities or their home units. The Warrior & Family Services Branch acts as a network that allows families to mutually support one another. By providing families with information, resources and support, the program strengthens both the unit and service members. To learn more about these services, visit Warrior & Family Services.
Non-Profit Veteran Support Organizations
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, war-time veteran organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is a community-service organization which has reached nearly three million members, men and women at almost 15,000 American Legion posts worldwide. These posts are organized into 55 departments -- one for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and the Philippines. The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, with additional offices in Washington, D.C. The American Legion Department of Iowa is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. The Department Service Office is located in the Federal Building in Des Moines, with an additional office located in the VA Medical Center in Iowa City. Visit the Iowa Legion or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
County Veteran Director
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
There are currently no CHAMPs partners located in this county. Please check surrounding communities for CHAMPs offering online programs.
- Business Incentives:
- Bloom Works Floral: 10% off for active military and veterans
- General Dodge House - Blue Star Museums program: The Blue Star Museum program provides free admission to active duty military personnel and their families during summer months (Memorial Day-Labor Day).
- Harrah’s Casino: We offer a military buffet day once a month where all Military Personnel can present their Total Rewards Card and their Military or Veteran’s ID at the buffet to receive a $5 buffet. On Veterans Day and Memorial Day, we offer a free buffet for vets and military. We have had a “Remember our Fallen Heroes” display at our Harrah’s Hotel Lobby. We also have an internal program called Caesars Enlisting Heroes where we actively try to recruit vets. We participate in the 2 Offutt Career Fairs, post on LinkedIn (Offutt AFB Airman & Family Readiness Center), and participate in Offutt appreciation Day.
- Walnut Community: $5,000.00 new small business incentive during the first year of operation.
- Iowa Western Community College Small Business Development Center: We offer free technical assistance and counseling for individuals wanting to start their own business
- Buck Snort, Oakland: Free Drink with purchase of any app or entre.
- Bass Pro: 10% off on merchandise
- 25% off on any services offered by our ServiceMaster Restore location
- Mobilis: We offer veteran's discounts on items in our store. We support the PVA, Wounded Warriors and American Legion Riders.
- Hospice of Southwest Iowa: As a hospice, we offer services to Veterans at end of life, including recognition events and assistance with final plans, benefits for both patient and spouse, etc. We also have a Veteran to Veteran volunteer program, and are always looking for Veteran volunteer to sit with terminally ill Veterans.
- My Business "Bayliss Park Hall" does offer a discount to active Military/Veterans: Arlo Burk
- The Center: Free November luncheon to veterans annually to honor and recognize
- YMCA: Free membership while on leave and no joining fee to be a member.
- Red Cross: For active duty service members we offer emergency communication services and resiliency workshops. For veterans, we offer referrals to their organizations that could possibly assist in providing financial assistance and we offer resiliency workshops for veterans and their families.
- Hospice with Heart: Veteran to Veteran volunteer opportunities with hospice patients, Veteran pinning ceremonies for hospice patients
- Sac Federal Credit Union: Financial literacy tools and better banking products. We also sponsor community veteran and military events that benefit active duty veterans and retirees.
- Housing Incentives:
- Employment Incentives:
- Edward Jones Investments: We offer a special training track for veterans to become financial advisors.
- City of Council Bluffs: provides Veteran's extra points as part of the City's hiring procedures. More specific information can be provided by the City Human Resources Department.
- Pottawattamie County provided additional hiring points for veterans