About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
Home Base Iowa (HBI) communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
In Hawarden, incentives include:
- City of Hawarden offers one family swimming pass.
- Sportsman’s Lanes & Lounge offers bowling punch card.
Home Base Iowa Community Established: November 2018
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Northwest Iowa Community College
Northwest Iowa Community College is a community college in Sheldon, Iowa. Northwest Iowa Community College was organized April 27, 1966. The college is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The college is located on a 269-acre campus one mile west of Sheldon. Northwest Iowa Community College offers both vocational technical programs and arts and sciences transfer courses — 43 programs in all.
- For more information:
- HBI CHAMPS Contact: Mark Bandy / 800.352.4907 / email@example.com
- Website: NWICC Veterans Page
Sioux County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Welcome Basket:
- Each veteran that visits Sioux County will receive a welcome basket from the respective community that they visit.
- Community Tour:
- The respective Chamber of Commerce for the community/communities visited will arrange for a community tour and facilitate arranging meetings with various service providers in their community.
- Hotel Incentive: The following hotel incentives will be made available for each veteran visiting the respective Sioux County Community. Please contact the respective Community Chamber of Commerce to arrange for lodging and taking advantage of the incentive.
- Orange City: Orange City Chamber of Commerce will pay for a hotel room for any veteran visiting an Orange City employer for potential employment, (Hampton Inn or Super 8 Motel subject to availability).
- Sioux Center: Contact the Chamber to make the reservation and to receive the discount.
- Rock Valley: Contact the Chamber to make the reservation and to receive the discount. Knights Inn will offer 20% off for a one-night stay for a veteran.
- Housing Incentive:
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax