About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Iowa Central Community College
Located in Fort Dodge, Iowa with satellite campuses in Webster City and Storm Lake, Iowa Central Community College is a two year institution and is home to a little over 6,000 enrolled students. Iowa Central Community College provides quality educational opportunities in the classroom and outside of the classroom. For all they serve, Iowa Central Community College strives to be the premier learning community, and college of choice, preparing the best citizens and workers for our region and beyond.
- For more information:
- Contact: 800.362.2793 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Iowa Central Community College Veterans Page
Webster County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Assistance with lodging and meals, veteran-guided tours and a welcome basket from the Greater Fort Dodge Growth Alliance
- Incentives are offered to students who choose to attend Iowa Central Community College and Buena Vista University
- The City of Fort Dodge is adding a 5-year, 100% tax abatement on the first $75,000 on a new home or improvements and “recreation bucks” at City of Fort Dodge Parks and Recreation facilities
- Resident tuition for all veterans and the immediate families at Iowa Central Community College (ICCC).
- Free book rentals if VA benefits do not cover that cost at ICCC.
- Free admission to all ICCC campus activities such as sporting events, musicals, plays, and fine art events for veterans and their families.
- One on one assistance with GI Bill paperwork with VA certifying official on ICCC campus.
- Veterans recognized at ICCC graduation by wearing Red, White and Blue cord (pending board approval).
- ICCC will work with veterans to make sure they have books/tools the first day of class even if their VA funds have not been sent to ICCC.
- ICCC Rec Center discount even if not a current student.
- Welcome gift basket from ICCC including but not limited to a punch card for 10 free meals in the cafeteria, Iowa Central apparel, draw string bag, lanyard and a thank-you note from Iowa Central for serving our country.
- ICCC offers a Veteran’s Day program.
- ICCC has scholarships available to help with tuition for those who don’t receive full payment from VA.
- Free initiation fees and first year membership dues to veterans joining the Fort Dodge Noon Lions Club
- Veterans will be provided a personalized guided tour of the community (by a Veteran when available) courtesy of the Greater Fort Dodge Growth Alliance.
- The City of Fort Dodge offers 5 years 100% tax abatement on the first $75,000 on a new home or home improvements.
- The City of Fort Dodge offers $25 in “Rec Bucks” to be used at Rosedale Rapids Aquatic Center or Lakeside Municipal Golf Course.
- The Fort Dodge Community Recreation Center offers a 5-day punch card to be used at any of their 3 locations. If a membership is purchased, the first month is free.
- $100 Voucher towards one night’s stay at a participating Webster County hotel/motel.
- $50 food voucher at a participating Webster County restaurant.
- Welcome basket from the Greater Fort Dodge Growth Alliance
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax