About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Northeast Iowa Community College
Northeast Iowa Community College, with campuses in Calmar and Peosta, is a student-driven, community-focused, higher education institution serving eight counties in northeast Iowa and surrounding areas. Offering more than 85 academic programs of study in addition to online and blended learning, customized business and industry training, short-term certification options and adult education and literacy, NICC is committed to affordable, high-quality education and training to ensure the growth and vitality of northeast Iowa.
- For more information:
- HBI CHAMPS Contact: Sheila Becker / 800.728.7367 ext. 295 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Northeast Iowa Community College Veterans Page
Winneshiek County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Pre-Application – We will offer a pre-application job form on the Winneshiek County Home Base Iowa page that can be completed and sent to the employer of the veteran’s choice along with a letter of recommendation on behalf of Winneshiek County Development. The employers will then contact the veteran for the next step if interested in hiring the individual.
- Community Single Point of Contact – The Winneshiek County Development Director, Stephanie Fromm, will be listed on the Winneshiek County Development Home Base Iowa page to be the contact person for the veteran. The Director will then arrange for the veteran to receive their welcome package incentives.
- Welcome folder – Each veteran that visits Winneshiek County through the Home Base Iowa program will receive a welcome folder including community information, popular sites to see and employer information.
- Community Tour – The Director for Winneshiek County Development will arrange a tour for the community the veteran is interested in located to.
- Hotel Incentive – Winneshiek County Development will pay for a hotel room for any veteran visiting a Winneshiek County employer for potential employment (Hotels include Quality Inn & Suites, Super 8, Country Inn & Suites or Fairfield Inn & Suites subject to availability). Please contact Stephanie Fromm to arrange for lodging and to take advantage of the incentive.
- Winneshiek County Housing Incentive
- Decorah Bank – Veterans can finance up to 100% of the purchase price and lock in up to a 30-year fixed interest rate.
- Kerndt Brothers – $1,000 closing cost credit for new or refinanced mortgage loans. Veterans can also finance up to 100% of the purchase price and lock in up to a 30-year fixed interest rate.
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax