Iowa National Guard Family Services
The Warrior & Family Services Branch is a Joint Force initiative that provides assistance to all military families, regardless of branch or component, who find themselves beyond the support capability of active duty military facilities or their home units. The Warrior & Family Services Branch acts as a network that allows families to mutually support one another. By providing families with information, resources and support, the program strengthens both the unit and service members. To learn more about these services, visit Warrior & Family Services.
Non-Profit Veteran Support Organizations
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, war-time veteran organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is a community-service organization which has reached nearly three million members, men and women at almost 15,000 American Legion posts worldwide. These posts are organized into 55 departments -- one for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and the Philippines. The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, with additional offices in Washington, D.C. The American Legion Department of Iowa is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. The Department Service Office is located in the Federal Building in Des Moines, with an additional office located in the VA Medical Center in Iowa City. Visit the Iowa Legion or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
County Veteran Director
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Northeast Iowa Community College
Northeast Iowa Community College, with campuses in Calmar and Peosta, is a student-driven, community-focused, higher education institution serving eight counties in northeast Iowa and surrounding areas. Offering more than 85 academic programs of study in addition to online and blended learning, customized business and industry training, short-term certification options and adult education and literacy, NICC is committed to affordable, high-quality education and training to ensure the growth and vitality of northeast Iowa.
- Pre-Application – We will offer a pre-application job form on the Winneshiek County Home Base Iowa page that can be completed and sent to the employer of the veteran’s choice along with a letter of recommendation on behalf of Winneshiek County Development. The employers will then contact the veteran for the next step if interested in hiring the individual.
- Community Single Point of Contact – The Winneshiek County Development Director, Stephanie Fromm, will be listed on the Winneshiek County Development Home Base Iowa page to be the contact person for the veteran. The Director will then arrange for the veteran to receive their welcome package incentives.
- Welcome folder – Each veteran that visits Winneshiek County through the Home Base Iowa program will receive a welcome folder including community information, popular sites to see and employer information.
- Community Tour – The Director for Winneshiek County Development will arrange a tour for the community the veteran is interested in located to.
- Hotel Incentive – Winneshiek County Development will pay for a hotel room for any veteran visiting a Winneshiek County employer for potential employment (Hotels include Quality Inn & Suites, Super 8, Country Inn & Suites or Fairfield Inn & Suites subject to availability). Please contact Stephanie Fromm to arrange for lodging and to take advantage of the incentive.
- Winneshiek County Housing Incentive
- Decorah Bank – Veterans can finance up to 100% of the purchase price and lock in up to a 30-year fixed interest rate.
- Kerndt Brothers – $1,000 closing cost credit for new or refinanced mortgage loans. Veterans can also finance up to 100% of the purchase price and lock in up to a 30-year fixed interest rate.