About Home Base Iowa Cities
Home Base Iowa cities provide additional resources and discounts for veterans who relocate to these communities. The incentives stand alone or complement those offered by the county and state. All the cities listed have passed a city council resolution supporting the program, provide an incentive/welcome package, ensure 10 percent of eligible businesses are involved with Home Base Iowa and have the option to purchase Home Base Iowa signage.
Click on the other tabs to view veteran resources, higher educational institutions and all county and statewide incentives.
County Veteran Offices
IowaWORKS Centers are committed to providing quality employment services to all military service members and their spouses. All veterans and their spouse may be eligible for priority service. Please let a team member know upon check-in of your veteran status. IowaWORKS Centers provide a full range of job/career assistance. Individual services include:
- Career counseling and job search skills development
- Help locating employment and Registered Apprenticeship opportunities
- Academic skill testing and hands-on computer classes
- Creating resumes/cover letters and interview preparation
Iowa National Guard Services
Iowa Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Non-Profit Statewide Veteran Support Organizations
Iowa Central Community College
Located in Fort Dodge, Iowa with satellite campuses in Webster City and Storm Lake, Iowa Central Community College is a two year institution and is home to a little over 6,000 enrolled students. Iowa Central Community College provides quality educational opportunities in the classroom and outside of the classroom. For all they serve, Iowa Central Community College strives to be the premier learning community, and college of choice, preparing the best citizens and workers for our region and beyond.
- For more information:
- Contact: 800.362.2793 / email@example.com
- Website: Iowa Central Community College Veterans Page
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
Wright County Veteran Incentives
Home Base Iowa communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
- Hotel Incentive:
- The following hotel incentive will be made available for each Veteran for their friends or family members. The cost for one night, up to $100, will be reimbursed for each of the following locations: Boulders Inn & Suites, Clarion Hometown Inn, the Sandman Motel in Eagle Grove, the Drummer Boy Inn in Dows, the Big Red Quilt House B&B and the Klernme House B&B in Belmond. This will be paid directly to the establishment with proof of stay.
- Meal and Chamber Certificate:
- Each Veteran will receive one $25 meal certificate and one $25 local Chamber gift certificate to be used in a Wright County community.
- Housing Incentives:
- Veterans will be eligible to receive a Housing loan (maximum $8,000) for first-time home buyers from Wright County Economic Development at 0% interest. All conditions according to the loan requirements must be met before disbursement. Veterans will also be eligible to receive a housing rehabilitation assistance loan (maximum $8,000) from Wright County Economic Development at 0% interest. All conditions according to the loan requirements must be met before disbursement. Both loans will have a 5 year payback period.
- Business Incentives:
- Each Veteran shall be eligible for a one-time North Iowa Area Community College's (NIACC) FASTTRACK scholarship for business planning and development, if funding is available. The cost will be reimbursed once the program is completed and the certificate of completion is provided to Wright County Economic Development.
- Veterans will also be eligible for a business loan of 2% interest with a 5 year payback period. This loan is a gap-financier and will require the use of a primary lender. Other conditions and eligibility requirements must be met before allocation.
- Veterans will have an opportunity to apply for available space, if applicable, during the course of the year to start/grow a business in a local incubator. Conditions and eligibility requirements will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
- Other Incentives:
- Full-time VA Office located in Wright County
- Close proximity to VA Medical Center in Fort Dodge and Mason City
- Availability of Public Transportation services with Wright County Transit
- Training opportunities at Iowa Central Community College’s (ICCC) North Central Career Academy in Eagle Grove, Iowa
- Community Welcome Bag with an assortment of offerings and coupons
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- View the complete list state veteran benefits
- 100% disabled veterans can qualify to pay no property tax