Iowa National Guard Family Services
The Warrior & Family Services Branch is a Joint Force initiative that provides assistance to all military families, regardless of branch or component, who find themselves beyond the support capability of active duty military facilities or their home units. The Warrior & Family Services Branch acts as a network that allows families to mutually support one another. By providing families with information, resources and support, the program strengthens both the unit and service members. To learn more about these services, visit Warrior & Family Services.
Non-Profit Veteran Support Organizations
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, war-time veteran organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is a community-service organization which has reached nearly three million members, men and women at almost 15,000 American Legion posts worldwide. These posts are organized into 55 departments -- one for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and the Philippines. The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, with additional offices in Washington, D.C. The American Legion Department of Iowa is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. The Department Service Office is located in the Federal Building in Des Moines, with an additional office located in the VA Medical Center in Iowa City. Visit the Iowa Legion or email: email@example.com.
County Veteran Director
An Introduction to CHAMPs
Iowa's Certified Higher Academic Military Partners (CHAMPs) offer higher education incentives to qualified veterans, their spouses and dependents. Benefits include in-state tuition rates, on-campus support, credit for military courses and special financial considerations.
There are currently no CHAMPs partners located in this county. Please check surrounding communities for CHAMPs offering online programs.
Iowa Central Community College
Located in Fort Dodge, Iowa with satellite campuses in Webster City and Storm Lake, Iowa Central Community College is a two year institution and home to a little over 6,000 enrolled students. Iowa Central Community College provides quality educational opportunities in and out of the classroom. For all they serve, Iowa Central Community College strives to be the premier learning community, and college of choice, preparing the best citizens and workers for our region and beyond.
- Hotel Incentive:
- The following hotel incentive will be made available for each Veteran for their friends or family members. The cost for one night, up to $100, will be reimbursed for each of the following locations: Boulders Inn & Suites, Clarion Hometown Inn, the Sandman Motel in Eagle Grove, the Drummer Boy Inn in Dows, the Big Red Quilt House B&B and the Klernme House B&B in Belmond. This will be paid directly to the establishment with proof of stay.
- Meal and Chamber Certificate:
- Each Veteran will receive one $25 meal certificate and one $25 local Chamber gift certificate to be used in a Wright County community.
- Housing Incentives:
- Veterans will be eligible to receive a Housing loan (maximum $8,000) for first-time home buyers from Wright County Economic Development at 0% interest. All conditions according to the loan requirements must be met before disbursement. Veterans will also be eligible to receive a housing rehabilitation assistance loan (maximum $8,000) from Wright County Economic Development at 0% interest. All conditions according to the loan requirements must be met before disbursement. Both loans will have a 5 year payback period.
- Business Incentives:
- Each Veteran shall be eligible for a one-time North Iowa Area Community College's (NIACC) FASTTRACK scholarship for business planning and development, if funding is available. The cost will be reimbursed once the program is completed and the certificate of completion is provided to Wright County Economic Development.
- Veterans will also be eligible for a business loan of 2% interest with a 5 year payback period. This loan is a gap-financier and will require the use of a primary lender. Other conditions and eligibility requirements must be met before allocation.
- Veterans will have an opportunity to apply for available space, if applicable, during the course of the year to start/grow a business in a local incubator. Conditions and eligibility requirements will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
- Other Incentives:
- Full-time VA Office located in Wright County
- Close proximity to VA Medical Center in Fort Dodge and Mason City
- Availability of Public Transportation services with Wright County Transit
- Training opportunities at Iowa Central Community College’s (ICCC) North Central Career Academy in Eagle Grove, Iowa
- Community Welcome Bag with an assortment of offerings and coupons
Statewide Veteran Incentives and Resources
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- Up to $7,500 toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Search/view communities that offer local veteran incentives
Statewide Veteran Resources
Learn more about veteran-specific resources and services available throughout the state. Below are links to highlighted resources: